Panchayati raj – CBSE Notes for Class 6 Social
Facts that Matter:
• The Gram Sabha is a meeting where people directly participate and seek answers from their elected representatives.
• Every village Panchayat is divided into wards, i.e. smaller areas.
• Each ward elects a representative who is known as the ward Member or Panch.
• The Gram Sabha members elect a Sarpanch who is the Panchayat President.
• The Ward Panchs and the Sarpanch together form the Gram Panchayat.
• The term of Gram Panchayat is five years.
• The Gram Panchayat and the Gram Sabha have one common secretary. The secretary is appointed by the government.
• It is the secretary who calls the meeting of the Gram Sabha and Gram Panchayat.
• One of the main functions of the Gram Sabha is to prevent the Gram Panchayat from doing wrong things.
• The Gram Panchayat is responsible for the implementation of the developmental programmes for the villages that come under its jurisdiction.
• The Panchayati Raj System is a process through which people participate in their own government.
• The Panchayati Raj System is the first tier or level of democratic government. It extends to two other levelsâ€” Block level (Janpad Panchayat or the Panchayat Samiti), District Panchayat (Zila Parishad).
Words that Matter:
• Gram Panchayat: It is the primary unit of governance in the Panchayati Raj System. It
consists of a Panchayat President and its members elected by the people through a general election. .
• Gram Sabha: Gram Sabha is a meeting where people directly participate and seek answers from their elected representatives.
• Sarpanch: He is the Panchayat President.
• Panchayati Raj System: It is a process through which people participate in their own government.