Buildings, Paintings and Books – CBSE Notes for Class 6 Social
Facts that Matter:
• The famous Iron Pillar at Mehrauli in Delhi is a remarkable example of the skill and art of the Indian crafts people.
• The pillar was made about 1500 years ago.
• The buildings such as stupas and temples also show the skill of country’s crafts persons. These buildings were made of brick and stone.
• The great stupa at Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh, was built over several centuries.
• Amaravati was also a place where a magnificent stupa once existed.
• Some finest stone temples were built in towns like Mahabalipuram and Aihole.
• Building stupas and temples was an expensive affair. Therefore, only Kings and queens decided to build them. They spent money from their treasury to pay the crafts people who worked to build these splendid buildings.
• The paintings of Ajanta are world famous. This is a place where several caves were hollowed out of the hills over centuries. Most of these were monasteries and some of them were decorated with paintings.
• Some best-known epics were written during this period. For exampleâ€”the Silappadikaram and the Manimekalai. These were Tamil epics written by llango and Sattanar respectively.
• Writers like Kalidasa wrote in Sanskrit. His best-known poem is the Meghaduta.
• The puranas which contained religious stories were also written during this time. These were written in simple Sanskrit verse and were meant to be heard by everybody including women and shudras.
• The Mahabharata and Ramayana, famous epics in Sanskrit had been popular for a long time.
• The Mahabharata is about a war fought between the Kauravas and Pandavas, who were cousins.
• The Ramayana is about Rama, who was the prince of Kosala but was sent into exile for fourteen years.
• The Jatakas were collections of stories which were told by ordinary people.
• Books on science were also written during this period. Aryabhatta, a mathematician and astronomer wrote a book in Sanskrit called Aryabhatiyam. He stated that day and night were caused by the rotation of the earth on its axis. He also developed a scientific explanation for eclipses.
Words that Matter :
• Epic: It is a grand, long compositions about heroic men and women and include stories about gods.
• Garbhagriha: It was an important part of the temple where image of chief deity was placed.
• Jatakas: These were stories told by common people.
• Mandapa: It was a hall like structure built in the temple for the people to assemble.
• Painting: It is an art of laying on colours.
• Purana: It literary means old. The puranas contained stories about Hindu gods and goddesses.
• Stupa: It is a word that means a mound.
• Temple: It is a religious place for the Hindus.
• Shikhara: It refers to the tower of a temple.
• 2300 years ago â€” Beginning of Stupa building
• 2000 years ago â€” Amaravati
• 1600 years ago â€” Kalidasa
• 1500 years ago â€” Iron pillar, Temple at Bhitragaon, Paintings of Ajanta and Aryabhatta
• 1400 years ago â€” Durga Temple