Major Landforms of the Earth – CBSE Notes for Class 6 Social
Facts that Matter:
• The surface of the earth is not the same everywhere.
• Mountains, plateaus and plains are different landforms of the earth.
• A mountain is a natural elevation of the earth surface. There are three types of mountainsâ€”Fold mountains, Block mountains and Volcanic mountains.
• A plateau is an elevated flat land. It is a flat-topped table land standing above the surrounding area. A plateau may have one or more sides with steep slopes.
• The Deccan plateau is one of the oldest plateaus.
• The Tibet plateau is the highest plateau in the world.
• Plains are large stretches of flat land. Some plains are extremely level while others may be slightly rolling and undulating.
• Plains are generally thickly populated regions of the world.
• Human habitation is found on different kinds of land forms. But population varies on these landforms. Mountains are generally not thickly populated. But plains are the regions where thick population is found.
• Land is precious. We must not use it in a wasteful manner. Construction work of any type should not carried on fertile land. Also, we should not throw garbage on land. It is our duty to take care of the land or any other natural gift. If we do this we will be conscious citizens.
Words that Matter:
• Erosion: The wearing away of the earth’s surface is known as erosion.
• Mountain: A mountain is a natural elevation of the earth surface.
• Glacier: Some mountains have permanently frozen river of ice. They are called glaciers.
• Range: When mountains are in an arranged line, it is called a range.
• Horsts and graben: The uplifted blocks are known as horsts and the lowered blocks are known as graben.
• Storehouse: A building where things are stored or kept.
• Terraces: One of the series of flat areas of ground which are cut into the side of a hill like steps in order to grow crops there.
• Flora: The plants of a particular area.
• Fauna: The animals living in an area.
• Plateau: A plateau is an elevated flat land. It is a flat-topped table land standing above the surrounding area.
• Plain: A plain is a vast stretch of flat land where thick population is found.