1. Complete the sentences:
(a)Hunter-gatherers chose to live in caves and rock shelters because
(b)Grasslands developed around……….. years ago.
(c)Early people painted on the……… of caves.
(d)In Hunsgi, tools were made of……….
2.Look at the present-day political map of the subcontinent on page 136 of the textbook. Find out the states where Bhimbetka, Hunsgi, and Kumool are located. Would Tushar’s train have passed near any of these sites?
3. Why did the hunter-gatherers travel from place to place? In what ways are these similar to/different from the reasons for which we travel today?
4. What tools would you use today for cutting fruit? What would they be made of?
5. List three ways in which hunter-gatherers used fire. Would you use fire for any of these purposes today?
6. Make two columns in your notebook. In the left hand column, list the foods hunter- gatherers ate. In the right hand column, list some of the foods you eat. Do you notice any similarities/differences.
7. If you had a natural pebble like the ones shown on page 13 in the textbook, what would you use it for?
8. List two tasks that are performed by both men and women at present. List another two that are performed only by women, and two that are performed only by men. Compare your list with that of any two of your classmates. Do you notice any similarities/differences in your lists?
I. Multiple Choice Questions
Choose the correct option to complete the statements given below:
(i) Traces of ash in the Kumool caves indicate
(a) rearing of animals (b) use of fire
(c) use of stone tools (d) use of water.
(ii)Grasslands developed in many areas around
(a) 800 years ago (b) 2 million years ago
(c) 1,00,000 years ago (d) 12,000 years ago.
(iii)Tools in Hunsgi were made of
(a) stone (b) limestone
(c) wood (d) metal.
(iv) Bhimbetka is located in the present-day
(a) Uttar Pradesh (b) Andhra Pradesh
(c) Madhya Pradesh (d) Kerala.
(v) Grasslands led to an increase in
(a) animals that lived in water (b) birds (c) human beings (d) animals that survive on grass.
II. Fill in the Blanks
Fill in the blanks with appropriate words to complete each sentence:
(i) Hunter-gatherers lived around …………. years ago.
(ii)The hunter-gatherers moved from place to place on ………….
(iii)Techniques used for making stone tools were ……… and …………
(iv) Fire was used as a source of…………..
(v) The climate of the world changed to…….. conditions around 12,000 years ago.
(vi) The Palaeolithic Age was followed by the ……… Age.
(vii) Tools in Hunsgi were made from …………. which was available ……….
State whether these sentences are true (T) or false (P’).
(i) Some rivers are perennial while others are seasonal.
(ii) Tools of wood have survived better than tools of stone.
(iii) The sites where hunter-gatherers lived were close to water.
(iv) Hunsgi was located in the present-day Madhya Pradesh
(v) Man led a well-settled life by Palaeolithic Age.
IV. Matching Skill
Match the items given in column A correctly with those given in column B.
V. Very Short Answer Type Questions
1. What did hunter-gatherers do to sustain themselves?
2. Why was hunting animals difficult for the people?
3. What do people need while hunting animals or catching fish and birds?
4. Collecting plant produce needs a lot of precaution. How?
5. What is the difference between perennial and seasonal lakes and rivers?
6. How was wood used in the past?
7. What were factory sites?
8.Where are natural caves and rock shelters found?
9. What suggests that people in the past used fire?
10.Why did earlier people use fire?
11. Name any two grain bearing grasses.
12. What is the special feature of the paintings found in Madhya Pradesh and southern Uttar Pradesh? .
VI. Short Answer Type Questions
1. How were stone tools used in the past? [V. Imp.]
2. What do you know about habitation-cum-factory sites?
3. Mention the two techniques that were used to make stone tools.
4. What do you know about the work division among men and women in the ancient past? [V. Imp.]
VII.Long Answer Type Questions
1. What were the various reasons for hunter-gatherers to move from place to place? Mention in detail
2.What was the impact of the change in environment around 12,000 years ago?[V. Imp.]