From Gathering to Growing Food – CBSE Notes for Class 6 Social
CBSE NotesCBSE Notes Class 6 SocialNCERT Solutions Social
Facts that Matter:
• Different plants grow in different conditions. Different animals also prefer different environments.
• Farming developed as a result of the climate change of the world. People observed plants and how they grow. Gradually they also started growing crops.
• People also got interested in taming animals. The dog was the first animal to be tamed. Animals like sheep, goat, cattle were also tamed and so people became herders.
• Grains were used as seeds, as food, and as gifts. They were stored by humans.
• Animals were also â€˜stored’ since they can serve as a source of milk and also ready meat. So animals were used as a â€˜store’ of food.
• Some sites have given evidence of farmers and herders. Plant remains and animal bones have been found and studied.
• Archaeologists have found traces of huts or houses at some sites. Pit-houses were built by digging into the ground.
• The period of history after about 10,000 years ago is called the Neolithic Age. Mortars and pestles and other tools of the Neolithic age have been found.
• People also grew cotton by this time and so weaving of clothes had begun.
• Many farmers and herders lived in groups, which were called Tribes. Certain customs and practices were followed by them.
• Mehrgarh was located in a fertile plain, near the Bolan Pass. Here, people learnt to grow barley and wheat. It is one of the earliest villages.
• On excavation, levels are found which indicate chronology (order of events).
• In Mehrgarh, remains of houses have been found. They had four or more compartments.
Several burial sites have been found in Mehrgarh. .
• Stone tools, a stone called jadeite, etc. have been found in Daojali Hading near the Brahmaputra Valley.
Words that Matter:
• Domestication: The taming of animals for various purposes is referred to as Domestication.
• Fossil Wood: Ancient wood that has hardened into stone is called Fossil Wood.
• Levels: Layers of a mound formed by various waste material over hundreds of years, are called Levels.
• Neolithic Age: The part of history after about 10,000 years ago is referred to as the Neolithic Age.
• Tribes: Many farmers and herders lived in groups, which are called Tribes.
• About 12,000 years ago : beginning of Domestication.
• About 10,000 years ago : beginning of Neolithic Age.
• About 8,000 years ago : beginning of settlement at Mehrgarh.
Comments by Paras